The Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Teaching program has been designed for teachers who already hold undergraduate or postgraduate’s degrees but wish to obtain a professional qualification in teaching. The duration of study in the Professional Diploma in Teaching is one year. The program has been fully accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the Ministry of Education in the academic year 2020 /2021.
The Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Teaching Program at Al Ain University aspires to become a pioneer in preparing teachers and educational leaders who are committed to life-long professional development in a changing world. It also aspires to provide outstanding learning services to improve the quality of life of individuals in particular and human life in general.
The mission of the Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Teaching Program is to prepare teachers and educational leaders and to develop the education profession through its focus on active learning, research and technology, by using clinical practical experiences and by cooperation with individuals and organizations concerned with education locally, regionally and internationally.
The Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Teaching program aims to:
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
|#||Program Learning Outcomes||QFE(L8)||ISTE||InTASC|
|1||Demonstrate knowledge of concepts, theories and skills related to the learners’ majors and teaching-learning process associated with curricula, teaching methods, techniques, theories of development, and classroom management.||1, 2||4, 8||1, 6|
|2||Apply knowledge, skills and acquired values to improve their students’ performance by using research, experimentation, analysis, critique, comparison and evaluation.||1, 3, 6, 7, 8||5, 6||5, 7|
|3||Employ evolving educational, scientific, cultural and technological knowledge in designing effective instructional plans and in securing safe and attractive instructional learning environments.||4, 8||3, 7||5, 6|
|4||Utilize available scientific resources practical experiences to develop instructors’ and their students’ skills self-learning, cooperative learning, effective communication, problem solving, decision-making and responsibility undertaking.||3, 5, 6, 7||1, 2||2, 4, 6|
|5||Use academic ethical practices in learning and teaching situations to promote their professional performance and to reinforce the social values and culture of the Emirati society.||3, 9||9, 10||3|
To obtain a “Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Teaching” degree from the College of Education, Humanities, and Social Sciences, a candidate must successfully complete 24 credit hours, with a minimum GPA of 2 out of 4.
|Course No||Course Title||CR.H.||Prerequisite|
|First: Compulsory Requirements (18 CR.H.)|
|0402524E||School Curriculum and U.A.E. Curriculum||3|
|0402550E||Practicum||6||"Elective Course (#1)" + 12 CR.H.|
|Second: Elective Requirements (6 CR.H.) The student is required to choose ONLY ONE course from each of the following groups|
|Elective (#1) – (3 CR.H.) Depending on the student’s specialization|
|0402529||Methods of Teaching English||3|
|0402531||Methods of Teaching IT||3|
|0402532||Methods of Teaching Science||3|
|0402534||Methods of Teaching Math||3|
|Elective (#2) – (3 CR.H.)|
|0402525E||Teaching Diversified Groups||3|
|0402526E||Foundation of Education||3|
|COURSE CODE||COURSE NAME||TEXTBOOKS|
|0402521E||Educational Psychology||Slavin, R.E. (2014). Educational Psychology: Theory and Practice. 10th Edition, USA: Pearson Education.|
1. Shelly, G., B.; Gunter, G. A.; and Gunter, R. E. (2010). Teachers Discovering Computers: Integrating Technology and Digital Media in the Classroom. (6th Ed.). Boston, MA: Course Technology, Cengage Learning. (http://www.scsite.com/tdc/)
2. Crapo, C., Lea, G., Lindemann, B., & Nichols, G. (2008). Introduction to the Field of Instructional Design and Technology. Retrieved from: (http://www.gingernichols.com/wp-content/uploads/InductionExerciseCrapoLeaLindemannNichols.pdf)
1. Bluestein, Jane. (2014). Managing 21st Century Classrooms: How do I avoid ineffective classroom management practices? (ASCD Arias). ASCD.
2. Burden, Paul (2016). Classroom Management: Creating a Successful K-12 Learning Community, 6th Edition. NJ: Wiley.
|0402524E||School Curriculum and UAE||Ornstein, C. Allan and Hunkins, P. Francis (2018) Curriculum Foundations, Principles, and Issues. Pearson Education, Inc.|
|0402525E||Teaching Diversified Groups||
1. Salend, J.S. (2015). Creating Inclusive Classrooms: Effective, Differentiated and Reflective Practices, 8th Edition. USA, Pearson Education.
2. Friend, M. & Bursuck, W. (2018). Including students with special needs: A practical guide for classroom teachers. 8rd edition, USA: Pearson Education.
|0402526E||Foundations OF Education||Ornstein, A; Levine, D; Gutek G.L. & Vocke, David E. (2017). Foundations of Education: (13th Ed.). Cengage Learning. Boston, MA, USA.|
|0402527E||Research Methodology||Gall, M. D., Gall, J. P., & Borg, W. R. (2017). Educational research: An introduction (8th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.|
|0402529||Methods of Teaching English||Brinton, Donna M., Snow, Marguerite Ann & Celce-Murcia, Marianne. (2014). Teaching English as a Second or a Foreign Language. (4th Ed.). Boston, MA: CENGAGE Learning Custom Publishing.|
|0402531||Methods of Teaching IT||Burden, P. R., & Byrd, D. M. (2019). Methods for effective teaching: meeting the needs of all students. London, UK: Pearson.|
|0402532||Methods of Teaching Science||
1. Chiappetta, E. L., & Koballa, T. R. (2010). Science Instruction in the Middle and Secondary School: Developing Fundamental Knowledge and Skills. 7th edition. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
2. Bybee, R. W., Powell, J. C, & Trowbridge, L. W., (2008). Teaching Secondary School Science: Strategies for Developing Scientific Literacy. 9th edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill.
|0402534||Methods of Teaching Math||Van de Walle, J. A. (2007). Elementary and middle school mathematics: Teaching developmentally (Sixth Edition – International Edition). Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.|
|0402550E||Practicum||Danielson, Charlotte (2007). Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching. (2nd Ed.). VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.|
College of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences
Al Ain University
Al Ain - UAE
Phone No: +971 3 7024888
Fax No: +971 3 7024777