Professional Diploma in Teaching Apply Now
The Professional Diploma in Teaching program has been designed for teachers and educators who already hold undergraduate degrees but wish to obtain a professional qualification in teaching. The period of study in the Professional Diploma in Teaching is one year, and it has been fully accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA) of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in 2014-2015.
The Professional Diploma in Teaching aspires to be a leader in qualifying prospective teachers and educational leaders. The program also seeks to offer exemplary educational services to improve the quality of life in the UAE and the lives of the individuals the diploma serves.
The Mission of the Professional Diploma in Teaching is to qualify teachers and educational leaders and to advance the profession of education through emphasis on active learning rather than traditional teaching and through research, technology, clinical processes, and collaboration with local schools and educational establishments in the UAE.
- Provide local area preparatory and secondary schools with qualified teachers.
- Offer the preparatory and secondary school teacher candidates with the necessary planning, teaching, and assessment skills and techniques.
- Improve the teaching profession through the use of research-based teaching.
- Equip the preparatory and secondary school teacher candidates with the necessary active learning skills.
- Maintain a leading role in building constructive, effective, partnerships with parents and local communities, as well as civil and governmental agencies.
- Meet the high standards of active learning, competent planning, and ongoing assessment objectives through the field experience program.
To obtain a Diploma degree from the College of Education, Humanities, and Social Sciences, a student must successfully complete 24 credit hours, with a minimum GPA of 2 out of 4.
Upon completion of the Professional Diploma in Teaching Program, the teacher candidates should be able to:
- Show high competency in planning and designing of a learning environment in which their students are the centers of the learning process.
- Demonstrate knowledge of content and pedagogy of their field of study.
- Demonstrate knowledge of their students’ characteristics.
- Motivate and help their students to become independent learners.
- Maintain accurate and authentic records about their students to develop and improve the learning process.
- Adopt a multi-methodology approach and make any necessary changes or adaptations of their teaching strategies based upon an ongoing assessment process.
- Show flexibility and responsiveness when dealing with their students while maintaining their roles as leaders.
- Communicate with their students, colleagues, school administrators, and students’ parents clearly and accurately.
- Maintain an ongoing assessment of student learning.
- Grow and develop themselves professionally.
- Contribute services to the school and district.
- Demonstrate knowledge of resources and the use of instructional technology including computers and the Internet to enhance students’ learning.
- Teaching at the preparatory and secondary stages, based on specialization.