Bachelor of Arts in Applied Sociology Apply Now
The College of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences offers the Bachelor of Arts in Applied Sociology Program, which aspires to actively contribute to the development of the UAE society, preparing socially qualified cadres acquainted with knowledge, science and modern technology as well as the ability to employ them in solving social problems efficiently for the sake of building a better society.
Applied Sociology Program at Al Ain University of Science and Technology seeks to be a pioneer educational center in this field, and looks forward to actively participate in developing the UAE community through preparing highly efficient social, professional cadres, acquainted with the knowledge and ability to use them to change the world in which they live to a better world.
The Applied Sociology Program seeks to be a center of excellence that responds to the needs of the labor market, and prepares cadres able to study and treat contemporary social issues and problems in the light of its commitment to the highest quality standards in teaching, research, and interaction with the community; and as dictated by the best practice in the field. The program is keen to keep updated scientific developments in theory and practice and to strengthen its relationship with the institutions and organizations of local private and public societies working in different social fields.
- Enabling students to derive the theoretical issues and indicators that are applicable in certain areas, such as family, work institutions, hospitals, schools, and others.
- Training students to conduct quantitative and qualitative social research in social systems, issues, changes and service institutions, and to use statistical methods and software appropriately to organize and analyze data.
- Enabling students to use theories, methods, and insights of sociology, in sociological studies designed to enlighten the social policy-makers and decision-makers about the social issues of concern to their community.
- Preparing students to contribute to the development of solutions to social problems that are discovered through social research and studies.
- Supplying decision makers with applied scientific studies that are necessary for the process of social planning, and for drawing social policies and designing projects and services in various fields.
- Providing students with the skills and abilities that enable them to observe the social problems and issues that deserve empirical study, so as to provide recommendations and solutions that can contribute to addressing these problems and issues and developing appropriate solutions.
To obtain a Bachelor degree of Arts in Applied Sociology Education, a student must successfully complete 126 credit hours, with a minimum (CGPA) of 2 out of 4.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the basic theories in sociology and related concepts such as culture and its relationship to the social structure and forms.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the impact of demographic and social changes and others on social structures and individuals, the impact of social institutions on each other.
- Describe similarities and differences between the theories of sociology, and explain how Applied Sociology contributes to the understanding of the human experience in its historical and geographical context and social structures.
- Determine the relationship between culture and the social structure and its impact on the various community institutions, and its role in solving community problems.
- Acquire the necessary skills to conduct quantitative and qualitative social research, which contribute to the construction of sociological knowledge.
- Express positive attitudes through participation in projects and tasks that are handled by specialists in Applied Sociology and their impact on self-development.
- Evaluate social research critically, and understanding and applying social research ethics to achieve the social role.
- Explain the effects of the interactions of social institutions to individuals and society through social project assessment, and drawing appropriate policies to achieve social role.
- Identify relevant information and the knowledge related to Sociology, and determining their sources and the ability to get them to help professional and self-development.
- Describe the importance of the differences between social groups and between cultures, and describing the social and cultural trends and clarifying the relationship between beliefs and behavior that help in developing social sense.
- Works in every level of the local and national government to solve societal problems and create a community that serves all people equally.