Bachelor of Education in Special education Apply Now
Special education is one of the programs that have been newly developed in the Faculty of Education at Al Ain University of Science and Technology to become part of a recently developed department called the “Department of Humanities and Social Sciences”. This Bachelor's Degree Program was developed upon a request from Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) and the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. This reflects the needs for this specialty in the UAE as it is also needed by the Arab world as a whole. However, this program aims to rehabilitate the teachers to qualify them to teach students with special needs in regular classrooms or in resource rooms, or in special education classes to help them solve their problems in learning.
The Special Education Program at Al Ain University of Science and Technology is aspiring to be a pioneering program in preparation of special education teachers who will be committed to meet the educational needs of all students with special educational needs. It also aspires to prepare special education professionals who strive to improve the quality of life of individuals with special needs.
The Special Education Program at Al Ain University of Science and Technology seeks to prepare teachers in the field of special education who will be able to develop special education services through focusing on the principles and philosophy of inclusive education. It also strives to integrate special and regular education services under one roof which is the inclusive classroom, using various teaching accommodations and modifications to meet the educational needs of all students in the class.
- Clarify the relationship between disability, growth, and learning; and benefit from this relationship in proving teaching and learning experiences that challenge people with special needs.
- Create safe and comprehensive teaching and learning environments that respond to cultural diversity, and make individuals with special needs active and effective learners characterized by positive social and emotional maturation.
- Employ the knowledge of regular and special education curricula for individualizing teaching process to students with special needs.
- Use multiple assessment methods and a variety of data sources in making educational decisions.
- Adapt and modifying instructional strategies to fit the characteristics and capabilities of students with special needs to enhance their learning process.
- Employ knowledge, skills and ethical and professional principles in teaching students with special needs.
- Employ educational practices used in special education for the advancement of the profession and long-life learning.
- Collaborate and communicate with families, educators and service providers for the benefit of individuals with special needs.
- Develop the relationship between individuals with special needs and the various institutions in the community in a manner that is culturally responsive to meet their needs across a range of teaching and learning experiences.
To obtain a Bachelor degree in Arabic Languages and Islamic Studies Education, a student must successfully complete 126 credit hours, with a minimum (CGPA) of 2 out of 4.
- Explain the impact of language, culture, growth factors, individual differences, and family background on the learning process of children with special needs.
- Cooperate with regular education teachers and other colleagues to create a safe, inclusive and responsive teaching and learning environments that are culturally and socially responsive to involve individuals with special needs in purposeful and meaningful learning activities.
- Employ teaching and motivational interventions appropriate to teach individuals with special needs on how to adapt to different environments.
- Employ general and specific knowledge of content and its teaching fields to construct individual learning and teaching programs for children with special needs.
- Use formal, informal, objective and appropriate assessment tests in order to make educational decisions for individuals with special needs.
- Adapt educational experiences for children with special needs to fit their abilities, interests, and their teaching and learning environments.
- Use alternative technology and communication augmentative systems in assessing, planning and teaching children with special needs.
- Use educational mastering and generalization strategies for children with special needs to improve their communication skills and language development.
- Collaborate with families of children with special needs and other professionals to prepare educational plans, various learning experiences and transition plans for children with special needs.
- Make individuals with special needs acquire the knowledge and skills related to critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Employ ethical and professional principles in educational practices with children with special needs.
- Clarify the impact of family, cultural, social and economic diversity in the provision of special education services.
- Provide educational guidance for teachers, Para-educators, and volunteers in teaching children with special needs.
- Teacher in regular classes, resource rooms, or in special education classes to help students with special needs learn.